-We have an exciting position for a Train Assistant who will be responsible to Assist the Loco Driver with locomotive duties.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”, delivering the metals and minerals that make modern life possible
Kumba Iron Ore
We produce high-grade iron ore, the key component in steel widely used in construction and manufacturing across the world. Our activities include all aspects – exploration; mining; processing and blending; shipping; marketing and selling. In South Africa, we have mining operations in the Northern Cape province, as well as a head office in Centurion, Gauteng, and a port operation in Saldanha Bay, Western Cape.
-As a Train Assistant, the incumbent will also be responsible to Assist the loco driver with locomotive duties.
- Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Shunting of long train-loads
- Administrative Functions
- Couple and uncouple of wagons and locomotives
- Control point working
- Assist the loco driver with locomotive inspection duties
- Assist the loco driver with refueling of locomotives
- Liaison with Yard foreman, Loco driver and Transnet Freight Rail Personnel
- Upholding of safety regulations at all times
- Adhere to all health and safety practices requirements and promote good housekeeping to ensure compliance and an environment where team members can deliver their outputs within a controlled risk environment.
- Ensure that safety signs and equipment is clean, visible and fit for use.
- Partake in all Safety initiatives by applying and executing duties per work instructions and through pre-shift inspections / SLAM’s (HIRA’s& Mini-HIRA’s / Critical controls where applicable)
This role is in the Distribution Department on a (P6) reporting to the Supervisor (Foreman)
-You will need the following Qualifications:
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- 1 -2 years Train Assistant (Shunter) experience will serve as a recommendation
- Computer literacy is highly recommended (Word and Excel)
- Valid driver’s license, preferably code 10
-Who We Are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet, that means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
What We Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Since safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines have become widely available this year, we have strongly encouraged employees to get vaccinated at the earliest possible opportunity. However, as vaccines have been proven to be a very effective and safe way of protecting people and reducing Covid-19 transmission, we have now announced our intent to introduce a policy that requires Covid-19 vaccination for access to all sites and offices. This policy would apply to all new joiners to the company as well as existing employees and contractors.
We are in the process of undertaking a comprehensive engagement process with all our stakeholders about our intent. This is so we can tailor our approach in each country, including ensuring what we do is lawful. Once this is complete, we will look to implement the policy. There may be differences in how and when it is implemented due to local context and legal requirements.